RE: Proposed resolution for issue "score-pseudo-property"

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:31:26 +0100
To: <www-webdav-dasl@w3.org>

> >>Thinking about it, the relationship *really* is between DAV:nresults
> > and  the
> >>presence of DAV:score -- not the fact that the client requests
> > ordering by
> >>DAV:score. Is there a use case for combining DAV:nresults with
> > ordering by
> >>DAV:score in *ascending* order (lowest scores first)?
> >>If not, we can just point out that combining any operator that
> > produces
> >>scores (right now thats DAV:contains) with DAV:results should cause
> >>the server to return the "n" top scoring results.

Proposed resolution [1]:

5.15  Limiting the result set

<!ELEMENT limit (nresults) >
<!ELEMENT nresults (#PCDATA)> ;only digits

The DAV:limit XML element contains requested limits from the client to limit
the size of the reply or amount of effort expended by the server. The
DAV:nresults XML element contains a requested maximum number of DAV:response
elements to be returned in the response body. The server MAY disregard this
limit. The value of this element is an integer.

5.15.1  Relationship to result scoring

If the result set is limited, and the response elements in the result
document contain the DAV:score XML element (see section 5.14.1), the results
that are included in the response document must be those with the highest
search scores (the highest numerical values for DAV:score).

[1]
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-latest.html#rf
c.section.5.15>