RE: discovery of search arbiters, was: Comments on search-00 draft

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 22:21:15 +0100
To: <www-webdav-dasl@w3.org>

Not really. If it sees "DAV:basicsearch" in the DASL header upon OPTIONs, it
knows that the resource at the request URI *is* a search arbiter. Absence of
the DASL header doesn't really tell anything, because the resource might not
be aware of possible search arbiters.

> It seems to be a tradeoff between easier implementation for the
> client, and
> possibly easier implementation for servers.  We tend to see first the
> server's point of view in these mailing lists (including me!)

I don't agree. If every resource can act as search arbiter, this is trivial
to detect (using OPTIONS or PROPFIND
supported-method-set/supported-search-grammar-set). If not, there's really
not a lot we can do to help the client.