RE: Issue: relative URI references in <scope>

Lisa,

I think this is a misunderstanding. I'm not changing the spec, I am trying
to clarify and to make it consistent with WebDAV.

Actually, WebDAV uses URI references, but does not really allow relative URI
references (see other discussion on the WebDAV mailing list). All I want is
to make SEARCH consistent with this.

> Note also that HTTP is planning on transitioning to full URIs even in
> Request-URI (full URIs can already be found most other places,
> e.g. Location
> header).  From 2616:
>    "To allow for transition to absoluteURIs in all requests in future
>    versions of HTTP, all HTTP/1.1 servers MUST accept the absoluteURI
>    form in requests, even though HTTP/1.1 clients will only generate
>    them in requests to proxies."
>
> The more rigorous approach would seem to be more consistent and
> safer, here.

I'm not against chaning the approach, but SEARCH should play with the same
rules as WebDAV.

Note that full URIs have the disadvantage of

- being more chatty,

- being very hard to generate in some cases (see [1]).

Julian

[1] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2002JanMar/0240.html>