From: Julian Reschke [mailto:julian.reschke@gmx.de]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 3:08 AM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org; www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
Subject: xml:space

Hi.

The WebDAV SEARCH draft currently has an issue regarding treatment of
xml:space [1]: it says, that the basicsearch grammer should respect
xml:space="default" in a literal element, so that

	<prop>
		<foobar xml:space="default">
			xyz
		</foobar>
	</prop>

would really be equivalent to:

	<prop>
		<foobar>xyz</foobar>
	</prop>

That's compatible with XML, but it's not consistent with WebDAV (which
doesn't say anything about xml:space). The only benefit of xml:space for
WebDAV I'm aware of is that you could have indented "beautified" message
bodies and have the receiver care about whitespace removal. However, as both
WebDAV request and response bodies are generated/consumed by code (not human
readers), that's hardly important.

So my proposal would be:

1) In WebDAV, state that whitespace *is* significant,

2) Drop the feature in WebDAV SEARCH's DAV:literal.

Comments?

[1]
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-latest.html#rf
c.issue.JW14>