comment on issues in DASL draft: truncation

From: Jim Davis <jrd3@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 16:52:45 -0700
To: www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
Comments on issues in the DASL draft
in the order they appear in the draft

Issue result-truncation

Is really two issues

1. the response body ... should also contain a *different* element stating
that the results were incomplete and the result set was truncated by the

I don't understand how this is different from the current proposal.  Isn't
the response element with status 507 exactly this?  If not, it needs to be

2. "may also be a need to report that the results were incomplete and the
result set was truncated at the choice of the *client*" [emphasis mine].

I agree that this could be useful, but I think this issue should be
consolidated with issue JW5 (see below), which proposes that DASL
basicsearch ought to have a way for client to request additional result
sets.  It should be moved because there is little or no value in allowing a
client to distinguish between the case where "N results were requested, and
there are exactly N available" and "N results were requested, and there are
more than N available" if there is no way for client to get the next batch
of results.