Re: Grammer support for querying property values that are XML structures?

From: Jim Davis <jrd3@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 11:52:14 -0700
To: www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
At 10:41 AM 6/15/00 -0700, Stephan, Eric G wrote:

>My basic question is:  Will (does) the DASL protocol define a grammer
[that may ] be
>used toquery and return parts of a property value if that value is an XML
structure?

>It seems to me that the DASL basic grammer is geared to query simple
>unstructured property values (e.g. strings, numbers, possibly dates), but not
>structured values such as an XML structure.

that's correct.  We deliberately limited the scope of the basicsearch
grammar to exclude structured XML queries because we know that a group in
the W3C is pursuing an XML query grammar, and we did not want to compete
with or duplicate their work.  We very much hope that the eventual outcome
of the W3C WG will be a grammar we can simply add to DASL, as a second
query grammar.  You will note that the DASL design allows for multiple
query grammars, so we will have no problem adding the XML query language,
when it is available, provided only that it is expressible in XML that is.