RE: Order By

I would like to take a quick step back and state my original question again
with some more info.  If I do the following dasl to a my webdav server:

<?xml version=\"1.0\"?>
<d:searchrequest xmlns:d="DAV:" >
    <d:basicsearch>
          <d:select>
                <d:prop><d:getcontentlength/><d:displayname/></d:prop>
           </d:select>
           <d:from>
                 <d:scope>
                     <d:href>http://www.sharemation.com/~kwiggen</d:href>
                     <d:depth> infinity</d:depth>
                  </d:scope>
            </d:from>
            <d:orderby>
                  <d:order><d:prop><d:getcontentlength/></d:prop></d:order>
            </d:orderby>
       </d:basicsearch>
</d:searchrequest>

I get (sorted correctly in my mind):

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
   <D:multistatus xmlns:D="DAV:">  <D:response>
   <D:href>http://www.sharemation.com/~kwiggen/winzip.log</D:href>
       <D:propstat> <D:prop>
            <D:getcontentlength><![CDATA[ 241 ]]> </D:getcontentlength>
            <D:displayname> <![CDATA[ winzip.log]]></D:displayname>
  </D:prop>
  <D:status>HTTP/1.1 200 OK</D:status>
  </D:propstat></D:response>
<D:response>
 <D:href>http://www.sharemation.com/~kwiggen/</D:href>
<D:propstat><D:prop>
    <D:displayname><![CDATA[ ~kwiggen]]></D:displayname>
  </D:prop>
  <D:status>HTTP/1.1 200 OK</D:status>
  </D:propstat>
   <D:propstat><D:prop>
         <D:getcontentlength />
  </D:prop>
  <D:status>HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found</D:status>
  </D:propstat>
  </D:response>
  </D:multistatus>

Notice that there IS a distinction between null values and 0 length values
in Webdav (for which this DASL Server was written).  In this case, the
property content length does NOT exist on a directory thus it is Not Found.
Since I am sorting by content length, I would expect to see this value
sorted LAST as I probably don't care about it.

In Webdav there is no way of setting a property value to NULL!  Either the
property exists on the object (in which case I would say the value is a
empty string that will sort first) or it doesn't exist on the resource in
which case I say its a NULL and sorts last.  Since DASL returns a Webdav
Propfind Response, we are giving the client the difference between null and
a 0 length string, and thus can sort correctly.

If a dead property exists on a resource, then someone had to set it, thus
the value is a least an empty string as it will now return in the 200 OK
section of a request.  Thus the value is not null and sorts first.  My
question revolves around the resources where that property does not exist
(Null in my mind), and thus they are separated out into a separate 404
section.  These I think should sort last, as they are not found.

Thus I would like to argue that nulls (when a property doesn't exist on a
resource) sort last.

Of course there is also the problem where there is no way to state the data
type of a dead property in Webdav, thus sorting might be wrong anyway.  But
that is another email :)

Kevin