From: Jim Davis [mailto:jrd3@alum.mit.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2000 7:47 AM
To: Kevin Wiggen; www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
Subject: Re: Order By

At 10:16 PM 6/6/00 -0700, Kevin Wiggen wrote:

>Does adding "Order By Content Length" (or any other file specific property)
>automatically add "AND Resource Type = File" to the Where clause of a Dasl
>Query?
>
>Or in English, does adding a file specific property to the orderby clause
in
>a dasl query implicitly make all resources that are returned files?  or do
>the directories and null resources simply sort last?

The latter.   Nowhere does  the spec say that anything is added
(implicitly) to the where clause, and I would never agree to that.  But it
does say  "In the context of the DAV:orderby element, null values are
considered to collate before any actual (i.e., non null) value, including
strings of zero length".  (5.6 in the most recent draft)

Is this a problem either technically or editorially?

regards

Jim