RE: Finding a chair (was: RE: is DASL closed?)

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 11:55:10 -0700
To: Alex Hopmann <hopmann@holonet.net>, Anderson_P_Bryan@keybank.com, www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
Alex Hopmann writes:
> It's worth reminding people that there is no need
> for a formal working group process to move things to Proposed Standard.

This is absolutely right.  The most important thing is to ensure we make
steady progress on the protocol standard itself -- whether this is done in a
working group, or by a group of individuals is less important.  I have a
slight preference for having the work performed in a working group, since I
think that WG products carry a little more respect within the IETF. But,
since most of the work here was done within a working group, this doesn't
affect DASL as much.

I think having a chair would be a good thing if the chair was energetic,
pushed things forward, and even did some publicizing of the protocol. If
such a person doesn't emerge, then finishing the protocol as an individual
submission would be fine too.

- Jim