RE: JW15: wildcards

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 18:03:28 -0700
To: "'DASL'" <www-webdav-dasl@w3.org>

> JimW:
>
> You're right of course. We never intended to cause
> syntax errors by allowing arbitrary characters
> that could be taken for tags. I didn't understand what you
> meant. Now I do. I agree with you that we should
> be more precise in the BNF in section 5.12.1.
> Would you care to suggest what the BNF should be?

I recommend changing the production:

text := 1*(<octet> | escapesequence)

text := 1*(char | escapesequence)   ; char is as defined in the XML
Recommendation, section 2.2

Then I'd add a note stating that all ">" must be escaped using &gt; and all
"<" must be escaped using &lt; (these are standard XML escapes for these
characters).  These escaped "<" and ">" characters must be converted back
into "<" and ">" after protocol parsing, but before search processing.

This will prevent XML elements in the literal from being interpreted as XML
elements during protocol parsing, but will allow them to be interpreted as
XML elements during search processing.

I think this will solve the problem.