RE: JW9: search arbiter locations

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 17:02:26 -0700
To: "'DASL'" <www-webdav-dasl@w3.org>

> What is the mechanism used to discover collections?

Typically, you'll receive this information from the administrator of the DAV
server.

> Why wouldn't that mechanism work for discovering search arbiters
> other than "/"?

It could work, but in my view, it's really undesirable.  Having to receive
the name of the top-level DAV collection from a server administrator is
unavoidable, or, perhaps more precisely, it would have been expensive to
develop a discovery protocol for this information.  However, it would be
very inexpensive to allow the search arbiter to be discovered, either by
querying a property, or by receiving a 302 redirect when trying to perform
SEARCH on a non-search arbiter resource.  This, in my view, is much less
expensive than having the search arbiter be a manually entered configuration
item.  Creating another manually entered configuration item would seriously
hamper the usability of the DASL protocol.