use of LDAP for query

From: Jim Davis <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 11:11:18 PST
To: www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
At 06:29 AM 12/9/98 PST, LeVan,Ralph wrote:
>> From: Jim Davis [mailto:jdavis@parc.xerox.com]
>> I think it's also reasonable to consider, from the library
>> point of view,
>> whether LDAP might work as well as DASL.  Do you have any
>> thoughts on that?
>
>I can't really believe you made that suggestion.  The objections that the
>Web community has consistently expressed about Z39.50 are it's statefulness,
>binary encoding and transmission over raw tcp/ip.  LDAP has all those
>deficiencies.  In addition, it has a really weak searching mechanism.

Thanks.  It's good to get input from a librarian's perspective.

FWIW, the Isaac project
(http://scout.cs.wisc.edu/scout/research/rfp/IssacCall.html) is using LDAP
for metadata search.  I don't know why they picked LDAP, (except that
probably they started before DASL was proposed, and they have working code
now), but it seemd to me possible that to a librarian there might be other
factors I had not considered.