RE: W3C XQL workshop

At 07:03 AM 12/1/98 PST, LeVan,Ralph wrote:
>I'll be attending.
>
>I've been lurking on this list for a while now.  DASL is very close to
>Z39.50 in architecture (ignoring the stateful sessions, binary encodings and
>transmission over raw tcp/ip features of Z39.50).  This makes DASL the best
>candidate for text searching, as far as Library requirements are concerned
>and I'll be pushing for DASL at the meeting.

Well, as an author of DASL, I can say that while there's a lot to like in
DASL, the current version lacks means of searching properties for
structured values.  That's why we're looking at XQL.  So I don't think you
can 'push for DASL' as a means of meeting the needs of XML QL.  If
anything, it's the other way around.

I think it's also reasonable to consider, from the library point of view,
whether LDAP might work as well as DASL.  Do you have any thoughts on that?

best regards

Jim