RE: a structured query language for XML

I would definitely leave it to other grammars like XQL to do any complex
structural searches.  (On a quick skim of the proposal, it looks to me as if
some changes would be needed to apply XQL to a search over the structured
properties of a collection of resources, as opposed to a search within the
content of a single resource.)

But I do think it would dramatically increase the usefulness of basicsearch
at not much cost to add something along the lines of Alan's proposal.
Really all that's needed is something along the lines of his proppath
element, and changing the definitions of the comparison operators and the
isdefined operator to let them take a proppath as their first argument.

--Judy

Judith A. Slein
CR&T/ADSTC
jslein@crt.xerox.com
8*222-5169

	http://www.w3.org/TandS/QL/QL98/pp/xql.html
 	http://www.texcel.no/whitepapers/xql-design.html

2. Any hierarchical structure may present itself as XML, even if it is not
physically stored as such. So a document hierarchy in a proprietary format
can still look like XML to the query language.

Hope this is helpful.

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no
Texcel Research