RE: Towards DASL fulltextsearch query

From: Jim Davis <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 20:15:40 PDT
To: "Dale Lowry" <dlowry.ORM2-1.OREM2@gw.novell.com>, <www-webdav-dasl@w3.org>
At 09:37 AM 7/27/98 PDT, Dale Lowry wrote:
>... For some search engines this full set of operators is valid in a
single query against all properties of the object including the document
content. We need to be careful to not think in terms of document properties
being a separate animal from the document content.

I agree completely.

>... do the from and select clauses really belong under the simplesearch
element? It seems that the from and select elements exist independent of
whether the query is simple or full text.

All future search grammars are perfectly free to use any of the XML
elements defined for simplesearch.  In fact I hope they do.  So one might
have a very different means of specifying the query condition (e.g. taking
images as input, or taking Java programs as input) but still use the same
dav:select clause syntax.  This seems particularly likely, given that the
underlying property model is unlikely to change.  On the other hand, I
expect the dav:from clause to either grow (to support multiple scopes) or
be replaced.