RE: proposal: replace 'rank' property with score'

From: Babich, Alan <ABabich@filenet.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 17:16:23 -0700
To: "'Jim Davis'" <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>, www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
> Merging scores from heterogeneous document engines is too
> hard for DASL 1.0.

A slight clarification: I wasn't talking about
the heterogeneous document engine case. I was
talking about the homogeneous engine case:
Engine E will give a different score
for document D in collection C1 than it will
for document D in collection C2 relative to
query Q for most, but not all, existing engines, E.

It almost goes without saying that scores
from different engines are not comparable.

> Seems to
> me that trying to codify this in 1.0 i too hard.

But, yes, I agree with you. DASL should not
try to address even more than one homogeneous
collection on release 1.0, let alone multiple
heterogeneous collections.

Alan Babich