RE: drop sortby from simplesearch

From: Babich, Alan <ABabich@filenet.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 12:38:16 -0700
To: "'Jim Davis'" <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>, www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
(Referring to the sortby element):
>(My understanding is that it is
> currently optional, in the sense that the set of sortable
> properties maybe
> empty.)

That's my understanding too.

> I don't feel strongly about this.  I don't think it does much harm.

I'm glad you don't feel strongly about dropping sortby.
I would much rather keep the sortby element. It is
effectively optional, and it can add value: While
I agree that it is usually be a better system level
tradeoff to do sorting on the client side, it is
clear to me that many client side programmers do not
want to write a sort, and that many would not do well
at it.

Alan Babich