RE: datatyping is not needed

If your "Date Published" property is an
obscure dead property, then they may not be
what I thought they were. I thought that "obscure"
implied "not defined in the schema". I assume that
"stored with the document metadata" means that your
Date Published property IS defined in the schema.
Is this assumption accurate?
(If it's not in the schema, then it seems unlikely
to me that the server could search on it, since
your example is based on "a document management system".)

If a property is not in the DMS schema, clients would
seem to be free to put whatever they want as the value
of the property on a resource by resource basis.
Wouldn't the DMS constrain the values stored for
"Date Published" to be datetimes? (If so, that
implies it is defined in the DMS schema.)

I would think that DMS property level security would
be used to make the property invisible or at least
readonly to other applications. (Accomplishing
that with security implies "Date Published" is defined
in the DMS schema.)

Thanks a lot for trying to help me out. The WebDAV
spec. defines live and dead properties in section
3.1, but if the spec. defines obscure and famous dead
properties, I managed to overlook that (sorry).

Alan Babich