Scope of DASL Charter

From: Rick Henderson <rickh@netscape.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 16:25:35 -0800
To: "'www-webdav-dasl@w3.org'" <www-webdav-dasl@w3.org>
It seems to me we are unnecessarily narrowing our scope.  Search is
already a common thing while distributed authoring is a rarer more
fancy thing.  It seems wrong to define a search protocol that only works

on servers that have all that distributed authoring stuff.  DAV has lots

of things in it that aren't at all necessary for searching. like
PROPPATCH,
MKCOL, ADDREF, DELREF, LOCKING.  There is no need
to be able to do document management operations to do search.

As part of the protocol spec we should probably define a subset of DAV
that
is necessary for DASL.  This might be only the underlying document
model.

--Rick
Rick Henderson            (Netscape)(650)937-3152
rickh@netscape.com