Re: more detailed version of query schema for simplesearch

The "file system" case might be interpreted as you have a bunch of XML
files
or HTML files with META tagged information.  Then the limits of the what
file systems supply don't apply.  There might be arbitrary name value pairs
in
there.

I think it's reasonable to require applications to advertise what
properties are
searchable, but not necessarily all the properties that are retrievable or
sortable.
The reason I think so is that search either by full text search engine or
SQL
database is going to define the searchable categories and I doubt that
direct reading
of the content is a practical search implementation technique.  (And for
the small
site where it is practical then they can also advertise the complete list
as easily as
they make the search)  Sorting and Retrieving aren't so constrained.

--Rick

Babich, Alan wrote:

> OK, readers. This is the question: Shall DASL (1) require all
> collections
> to advertise ALL the properties they support, or (2) shall DASL allow
> collections to advertise support for the minimum required property
> set defined by WebDAV and indicate explicitly that their advertised list
> of
> supported properties is incomplete?
>
> Alan Babich

Rick Henderson            (Netscape)(650)937-3152
rickh@netscape.com