RE: Protocols should constrain servers, not clients

From: Jim Davis <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 14:47:09 PDT
To: www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
At 12:30 AM 6/21/98 PDT, Saveen Reddy (Exchange) wrote (apropos of allowing
clients to submit requests with content type other than xml)

> given that we already have a mechanism inside the xml
>request to identify and transmit alternate query grammars, how would you
>propose we handle discovery now that it can vary on the content type as
>well?

I don't think we need to solve this at all.  I was only proposing that the
language of DASL me such as to not make this illegal.  Anyone who wants to
define search using some other content type (e.g. images, audio) will have
to solve this.  It's not our problem, I just want our protocol definition
to not make it impossible.