RE: design issue: query type checking via DTD

From: Jim Davis <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 09:05:45 PDT
To: www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
Alan's responses make me realize that the true force of the Con arguments
was left implicit in the arguments as I summarized them, or perhaps the
issue should be once again reframed.  Let me try to make that explicit.

DASL servers themselves must independently validate any query.  They cannot
rely on clients submitting only valid queries.  (While not everyone agrees
with every argument advanced for this point, I think everyone agrees with
at least one of them.)  If this is true, then it calls into question the
value of client side error checking.

Alan argues that such checking is very desirable in UIs. (P2 makes this
point).  Someone else might argue that such checking is redundant, since
the server will repeat it regardless, and that redundancy, per se, is a bad
thing, and since the only proposed means to support such client side
checking is so unappealing.

So perhaps the argument is really over whether there ought to be a
requirement that DASL enable agents (client side apps) to assist users to
construct valid queries, e.g. by preventing them from constructing invalid
ones.

I hope someone besides Alan (whose position is clear already) or I (who is
simply trying to keep this discussion clear) will speak up.