From: Jim Davis [mailto:jdavis@parc.xerox.com]
Sent: Monday, April 20, 1998 2:17 PM
To: www-webdav-dasl@w3.org
Subject: RE: no Versioning or Variants

At 02:00 PM 4/20/98 PDT, Saveen Reddy (Exchange) wrote:
>At 04:01 PM 4/16/98 PDT, Jim Davis wrote:
>>As I recall, at the IETF BOF we agreed to remove any mention of versioning
>>or variants from the DASL spec until such time as the WebDAV protocol (or
>>some other relevant protocol) defines them.

> HTTP/1.1 defines them but only within the context of
>content-negotiation -- authoring is less clear. ...
> The further complication is that, as I understand it,
>versioning and variants will use the same model on WEBDAV (this is based on
>comments I heard at the LA IETF). We would need to have the DAV models for
>both before we can address them in DASL.

Does this mean you agree that DASL should say nothing about either
versioning and variants (until WebDAV does)?

As for the small amount of variant support in HTTP, well naturally DASL
should be able to search on any exposed property (e.g. content-language or
content-type) there's nothing special we need to do there.  But there's
nothing else to say about variants beyond that.  I mean, how is searching
against the content-type property and different than searching against the
foobar:quux property?