Re: Workload for surrogates

From: Fred Douglis (douglis@research.att.com)
Date: Thu, Aug 17 2000

    From: Fred Douglis <douglis@research.att.com>
    To: hardie@equinix.com
    Cc: surrogates@equinix.com, www-wca@w3.org
    Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:33:41 -0400
    Subject: Re: Workload for surrogates

    [Cross-posted to wca list from surrogates list.  Original message attached.]

    Ted,

    Regarding CDNs, since in general there is a tendency toward emphasizing
    cachable content up front, I would expect the workload to be somewhat
    different from a typical origin server, at least one that has any significant
    dynamic data.  There'll be a greater fraction of hits to more static content
    such as gifs.

    I know there's been some work on benchmarking CDNs but I don't know if there's
    been work on characterizing behavior.  The W3C workload characterization group
    might be looking into this -- have you asked around there?  I'm cc-ing them
    here.  Perhaps someone will have additional info.

    Regards,

    Fred

    attached mail follows: