RE: data on what makes web access slow [Fwd: end user impact of T CP speed (was: Re: fast tcp && win2000)]

From: Neff, Robert (Robert.Neff@usmint.treas.gov)
Date: Fri, Jan 14 2000

    From: "Neff, Robert" <Robert.Neff@usmint.treas.gov>
    To: www-wca@w3.org
    Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 06:35:59 -0500
    Subject: RE: data on what makes web access slow [Fwd: end user impact of T 	CP speed   (was: Re: fast tcp && win2000)]

    Does anyone have any stats on what constituents "running with the big boys"
    in hi-end e-commerce.  We are trying to get better data so we can improve
    and tune capacity planning.  We just got slammed on Tuesday. Within 20
    minutes we were sustaining 20,000 concurrent users with peaks up to 48,000
    concurrent users. This was non stop throughout the day!

    Does anyone have any comparative data?  Old or recent will do, but prefer
    recent...any suggestions as to other sources?

    Previous concurrent usage was 1300 so I rearchitected the site for 13,000
    (times 10).  Say I was a little off?  We have another product drop in
    approximately 15 days and are working to re-architect the site to plan for
    minimum 250,000 concurrent users and trying to get up to 500,000.

    Just moved the couch closer to the office....

    Robert Neff
    Chief of Web Operations
    United States Mint