RE: Concept of "user"

From: VJ Cothey (Viv.Cothey@bristol.ac.uk)
Date: Fri, Jul 30 1999

Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:54:09 +0100 (BST)
From: VJ Cothey <Viv.Cothey@bristol.ac.uk>
To: Jim Pitkow <pitkow@parc.xerox.com>
cc: "Lavoie,Brian" <lavoie@oclc.org>, "'www-wca@w3.org'" <www-wca@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Concept of "user"

Thanks for your comments.

It seems that I might be pushing at an open door here.

There seems to be agreement that in a client side context we would want
"user" to have its intuitive = individual person meaning.

In other contexts, particularly server, then "user" is inappropriate.
Surrogate entities, UTEs must be used instead.

Therefore all that may be needed is that terms like "files transferred
per user" are not employed as server metrics.  Maybe "per UTE", with the
UTE being specifically defined in each instance?

Anyhow the debate seems now to be about the practice of making the
distinction rather than the desirability/need of doing so.