RE: Concept of "user"

From: Jim Pitkow (pitkow@parc.xerox.com)
Date: Thu, Jul 29 1999

Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 17:35:20 PDT
To: "Lavoie,Brian" <lavoie@oclc.org>, "'VJ Cothey'" <Viv.Cothey@bristol.ac.uk>
From: Jim Pitkow <pitkow@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: "'www-wca@w3.org'" <www-wca@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Concept of "user"

I agree that while convenient to a non-expert, using "user" at the server
side is dangerous.  For the server side, "client", while better, still
leaves many holes, as one of our recent studies (WWW Journal) highlights
the problems of treating each IP as a separate user.  So user != cookie !=
client != IP. For the server side, basically what we try to get is a
"uniquely trackable entity (UTE)"  When possible, we use cookies.  If not
present, we use heuristics that use IP address, time, user agent, referrer
information, and the site's topology to determine a UTE and their
corresponding path.  IN certain circumstances, we can get persistent UTEs
(like persistent cookies), but the problem is detecting and handling
cookie-non-compliance in such studies.  Most of these are modified
definitions off the WWW6 "In search of reliable usage data" paper I wrote a
while back.