RE: Concept of "user"

From: Lavoie,Brian (lavoie@oclc.org)
Date: Thu, Jul 29 1999

From: "Lavoie,Brian" <lavoie@oclc.org>
To: "'VJ Cothey'" <Viv.Cothey@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: "'www-wca@w3.org'" <www-wca@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 11:38:14 -0400
Subject: RE: Concept of "user"

Viv,

Thank you for your comments. I see the point you're making, and the
potential for ambiguity in the "user" definition. However, rather than
adding more terminology, I think the remedy may be to rephrase the existing
definition to make some of these points more explicit.

The user definition was intended to represent "human" agents explicitly
operating clients (browsers, etc.) in order to interact with servers. In
this sense, the human agent can take multiple forms: a person, a household,
etc. The definition needs to be re-phrased to make this more explicit. The
bottom line, however, is that a user represents some form of direct human
control of client-side requests.

In my opinion, the user concept is not easily translated to the server-side
perspective. The server interacts with the client (see definition), not the
user, although obviously the client is an intermediary for the user. But the
two are not synonomous: consider that servers cannot always determine if
requests from a client originate from explicit human direction, or from the
client itself (e.g., an automated agent like a spider). Because of this
problem, I would suggest that the term "user" be reserved for analysis that
addresses client-side activity. I.e., in order to preserve the human element
of the user definition, client-side analysis should talk about users, while
server-side analysis should talk about clients.

These are just my opinions. Perhaps others in the group have an alternate
view?

Brian