Please try completely new repository interface

From: Marc Abrams (abrams@vt.edu)
Date: Thu, Jul 15 1999

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:57:08 -0400
From: Marc Abrams <abrams@vt.edu>
To: "www-wca@w3.org" <www-wca@w3.org>, Hussein Suleman <hussein@vt.edu>
Subject: Please try completely new repository interface

Hussein Suleman <hussein@vt.edu> has entirely reimplemented the repository.
Please look at this temporary url by the Friday WCA phone call to give your
feedback:

dime.dlib.vt.edu/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/hussein/index.pl

Reasons for the reimplementation:

- Simpler user interface
- No longer hosted by OCLC (we could not change many aspects of the old
interface because they were under OCLC's control)
- The entire system can be moved to W3C to be hosted their, and maintained by
others in future.
- Added some support for the notion of one or more "editors" that have
authority to add certified trace records, update/delete any records in
repository.  Using "Modify Editor List" and password "w3cvt" ... using this
password, you can modify the list of editors ...

Some caveats:

- This is a first cut, so some things are still rough.

- There are no records for papers, etc. inserted yet.  (We're waiting for oclc
to dump the records from the original repository.)

- Help screens not done.

- No work yet on Bala's suggestion yesterday for user interface

--
Marc Abrams, Associate Professor
  508 McBryde Hall, Dept. of Computer Science, Virginia Tech