Re: Request to Attend President's Council on Y2K Internet Readiness Roundtable

From: Jim Gettys (jg@pa.dec.com)
Date: Fri, Jul 09 1999

Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 12:05:15 -0700
From: jg@pa.dec.com (Jim Gettys)
To: mogul@pa.dec.com
Cc: www-wca@w3.org
Subject: Re: Request to Attend President's Council on Y2K Internet Readiness Roundtable

Thanks for your usual insights, Jeff...

I was looking at things from the opposite direction:

If the servers all work correctly and provide 4 digit dates (correctly),
we avoid the possible failures in the first place.

Having a handle on whether this represents 10% of the traffic, or 1% of
the traffic, is still of interest...  If someone on this list can
give us some insight, I think it would be very useful.

I may try to do an analysis of the protocol before this meeting.

More worrying to me actually are proxies that may be buggy, causing
caching failures, since a large part of the user community is behind
caching proxies.  A few bugs in a few implementations could cause alot
of trouble, if the fraction of broken origin server traffic is still
significant...
				- Jim