Re: Issue entered final state: How often is a broken link enc...

From: Jim Pitkow (pitkow@parc.xerox.com)
Date: Thu, Jul 01 1999

Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 00:11:22 PDT
To: www-wca@w3.org
From: Jim Pitkow <pitkow@parc.xerox.com>
Subject: Re: Issue entered final state: How often is a broken link   enc...

404 == broken link was the heuristic I used to compute the number from the
AOL traces.  Not perfect, but was % was confirmed by some VT traces as well./

Broken links has several levels of interest:
	on the Web as a whole (we've looked at this using our local version of the
web - others like the Link Rot survey http://www.pantos.org/atw/35654.html
sample to get this)
	% of broken links from the subset of the Web people actually use
	% of traffic that has 404

What rate do you see in the World Net traces