Review WCA-terms

From: Daniel Dardailler (danield@w3.org)
Date: Tue, Jun 29 1999

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
To: www-wca@w3.org
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 17:41:13 +0200
Subject: Review WCA-terms

A few comments on http://www.w3.org/1999/05/WCA-terms/

The only thing that I insist on seeing incorporated is the device
independence blurl about Page Rendition, not Visual.

> Therefore, we define the following terms to address the question of "What is
> the Web?" from the perspective of Web Characterization. For the purposes of
> Web Characterization research, the Web may be viewed as consisting of three
> components: the core, the neighborhood, and the periphery:
>
> [Scope of the Web fromWCA's perspective]

I find this figure rather useless, limit to being satiric :-)
(like the [packet header|packet body|packet trailer] block)

> Web Core
>
> The collection of resources residing on the Internet that can be accessed
> using any implemented version of HTTP as part of the protocol stack (or its
> equivalent), either directly or via an intermediary.
>
> Notes: By the term "or its equivalent" we consider any version of HTTP that
> is currently implemented as well as any new standards which may replace HTTP
> (HTTP-NG, for example). Also, we include any protocol stack including HTTP
> at any level, for example HTTP running over SSL.

How about FTP ?
I would have placed that in Web Core as well.

> 2.1 Web Clients
>
> Concepts relating to the process of accessing Web resources and render Web
> resource manifestations.
>
> Web Client
>
> A client that is capable of accessing Web resources by issuing requests and
> render responses containing Web resource manifestations.
>
> Examples: A Web browser, a harvester, a spider ...

We call that a User Agent in WAI land (see http://www.w3.org/WAI).

We also have "Authoring Tools" that I think is worth mentioning in the
vocabulary.

> Explicit Web request:
>      A request that is initiated manually by the user.

I suggest

User Web Request

> Implicit Web request:
>      A request that is initiated transparently by the Web client, without
>      manual intervention on the part of the user, as an ancillary event
>      corresponding to an explicit Web request.

Automatic Web Request

> User-input Web request:
>      A request for dereferencing a URI supplied by the user directly to the
>      Web client: e.g., typed into the address window, bookmarks, history,

User-input is too broad (clicking is user input too)
I suggest: Direct Web requect, or Independent Web Request.

> Page View
>
> Visual rendering of a Web page in a specific client environment at a
> specific point in time.

Call that "Page Rendition" please, this is not just about visual!

> Examples: Displaying a particular Web page in Internet Explorer is a
> pageview; displaying the same page in Netscape Navigator is a different page
> view.

Examples: Voicing out a web page in pwWebSpeak or EmacsSpeak.

> Host Page
>
> A Web page identified by a URI containing an <authority> component but where
> the <path> component is either empty or simply consists of a single "/"
> only.
>
> Examples: The Web pages identified by http://www.w3.org and
> http://www.cern.ch are host pages

I'd call that the Root Page, or Top Page.

> Web site

I prefer Host site.

> Independent Web Page
>
> A Web page that is not part of the Web site associated with its network
> location. Specifically, it is not possible to reach the Web page in question
> by traversing a sequence of links internal to the Web site, beginning at the
> host page.

The concept of independent - hidden by obscurity - page is theorital
in effect, and I'm not sure one can prove a page is independent after
a while.

> Web Site Publisher
>
> A person or corporate body that is the primary claimant to the rewards or

how about "is responsible of the Web site"

it's not just about rewards.

> Subsite
>
> A cluster of Web pages within a Web site, that is maintained by a different
> publisher than that of the parent Web site, or host site. The subsite
> publisher exercises editorial control over the Web pages comprising the
> subsite, perhaps restrained by some broad guidelines imposed by the host
> site publisher.

if I call the above a Host site, then I would want to call this one a
Web site, as in "have you checked my web site".

> Web Collection
>
> A portion or section of a Web site, consisting of two or more Web pages,
> that represents a non-trivial, self-contained resource, but is still
> maintained by the same publisher of the overall Web site.

and this one a subsite.