FW: page views

From: Lavoie,Brian (lavoie@oclc.org)
Date: Fri, May 28 1999

From: "Lavoie,Brian" <lavoie@oclc.org>
To: "'www-wca@w3.org'" <www-wca@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 13:43:42 -0400
Subject: FW: page views

Chris,

I think your suggestion is an excellent one, and I will make a note to
include this term in the next revision. Defining the structure of a website
is an interesting problem, and one that we have struggled with in analyzing
our web sample data. This problem came up for us when we were trying to
figure out a way to determine a webpage's "depth" in a site - i.e., how many
layers down in the site you had to go to reach it. Clearly, the fact that
there are often multiple ways to reach a page makes defining this depth
problematic. We decided to use a metric where we took the number of segments
in the shortest path to the page, but this was an ad hoc approach, not based
on any formal definition of the structure of a site. I would be very
interested in any research you have done on defining the structure of a
website.

Regards,
Brian