page views

From: Chris Tilt (chris@webcriteria.com)
Date: Fri, May 28 1999

Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:00:43 -0700
From: Chris Tilt <chris@webcriteria.com>
To: W3C-WCA <www-wca@w3.org>
Subject: page views

Greetings,

I view your efforts as required and very beneficial to the
web community. As such, please consider a discussion of a
stronger claim with respect to page views. Your defintion
of Page View is consistent with advertising standards as
it relates to "impressions", however I think we need an
accompanying term and definition that allows characterization
of the structure and non-temporal state of a web site and
supersite. If we are limited to measure and describe only
the specific User Sessions or Episodes, we will have
difficulty defining and implementing metrics that allow
absolute and comparitive measurements of web sites.

For instance, how do we determine the number of unique
views on a site? Does a URI that resolves to a subset
of a page (via a ref to an embedded anchor) represent
a different "view"?

I claim that it is usefull to define a unique view so
that we can analyze a site structure. For example, when
navigating a site, we often find that there are multiple
ways to arrive at a similar view (in a static site, we
would say the pages are the same). In terms of graph
theory, this is like saying two edges (links) arrive at
the same vertex (page). By building such a graph, one can
make several interesting measurements and conclusions
that have been made for other types of graph problems.
This, however, relies on being able to describe a node
in the graph with some canonical name. In a simple site,
this is just the URI. For dynamic sites, this would be a
representation of the resource manifistation.

I would like to see us define a term like "unique page
view" that accounts for our experience of recognizing a
similar manifistation. Of course, the definition must
allow for some degree of difference since things like
banner ads, etc., are often rotating different images.
Our definition does not have to define the naming
system for resources, but a term would help some of us
to better communicate our work in this area.

Thank you for your time. Would anyone like to comment?

Cheers, Chris
--
Chris Tilt // CTO and VP of Engineering
WebCriteria, Inc. // Portland, OR, USA