Log analysis tools listing

From: Johan Hjelm (hjelm@w3.org)
Date: Wed, Apr 28 1999

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:34:58 +0200
To: www-wca@w3.org
From: Johan Hjelm <hjelm@w3.org>
Subject: Log analysis tools listing

Dear All,
the discussion about log analysis tools is very interesting. It breaks down
into two things:
* Finding out which tools are available
* Finding out which requirements they fulfill

I think we want to be a little wary on the second point. It is not our job
as a W3C activity to test tools, and since I have been involved with
testing labs before, I know what an excruciating process it is to be
totally fair - and we cannot afford to be anything else. I would deem that
out of scope for this group, however interesting it might be. Maybe we
could get someone to do that for us, once we agree on what requirements we
can pose.

Bradford actually raised another issue: Creating a set of guidelines for
what is "proper log analyser behaviour", which of course would be
interesting - but assumes that we know what the "proper behaviour" is.
Maybe we can have a go at this when we are agreed on the metrics.

Meanwhile, to have a go at the first point, I have put up a list I did when
I was assembling material for the workshop. It is at
http://www.w3.org/WCA/loganalysis-tools.html
Please note that this list does not have any pretentions at being neither
complete nor finished. I really apprieciate if you find more stuff and add it.

Johan
                     Johan HJELM
       Ericsson Research, User Applications Group
         Currently visiting engineer at the W3C
             The World Wide Web Consortium
                     hjelm@w3.org
   http://www.w3.org/People/W3Cpeople.html#Hjelm
    Fax +1-617-258 5999, Phone +1-617-253-9630
   MIT/LCS, 545 Tech. Sq. Cambridge MA 02139 USA
        opinions are personal, always my own,
  and not necessarily those of Ericsson or the W3C.