Log tools

From: Neff, Robert (Robert.Neff@usmint.treas.gov)
Date: Wed, Apr 28 1999

From: "Neff, Robert" <Robert.Neff@usmint.treas.gov>
To: www-wca@w3.org
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 10:12:02 -0400
Subject: Log tools

As a new person to the group, have we started a list that documents all
available web statistic tools?

Due to the charter, I am not sure we can provide a list of pluses and
minuses on each.  A spreadsheet with requirements would be good and the next
column could be how well the vendor meets that.

My concern is how people interpret the log files.  I understand that
Webtrends and some other programs may handle or report proxies?  Does anyone
have any information on this?  Or is there a comparative matrix?

Do we have any guidlelines on how to interpret logs, what to look for.  I
see a need for user education to improve accuracy and understanding.

Robert Neff