Re: Three categories of log files

From: Marc Abrams (
Date: Mon, Apr 26 1999

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:31:43 -0400
From: Marc Abrams <>
Subject: Re: Three categories of log files

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:
> The discussion of certified vs. uncertified logs made me realize that there
> in fact are three categories and not just two:
> 1) certified entries which have passed a set of tests and we can recommend
> 2) entries that failed the certification test
> 3) entries that haven't been processed yet

How exactly shall we handle category 3?  I can see a couple of ways:

- No record in repository of any traces until the certification process is
complete (and traces then fall into 1 or 2).

- A repository record saying that trace is awaiting processing, but without a
pointer to the actual trace (so that no one uses the trace before

Marc Abrams, Associate Professor
  508 McBryde Hall, Dept. of Computer Science, Virginia Tech
  Blacksburg, VA 24061-0106 U.S.A.
  voice:  (540) 231-8457, fax: (540) 231-6075