RE: Just what is a certified log? and who certifies it?

From: Brodsky, Lloyd (Lloyd.Brodsky@Thomson.com)
Date: Thu, Apr 22 1999

From: "Brodsky, Lloyd" <Lloyd.Brodsky@Thomson.com>
To: "'Jim Pitkow'" <pitkow@parc.xerox.com>, "'www-wca@w3.org'" <www-wca@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:52:03 -0400
Subject: RE: Just what is a certified log? and who certifies it?

Different goal certainly call for different methods -- but I'm still having
some problems visualizing what the repository's certification process would
consist of and what potential problems that process would avoid. The notion
of the RECIPIENT being able to certify anything other than its own identify
and mere receipt of a log file is an interesting one and a concept that I'd
like to hear more about.

I've been doing traffic analysis work with a number of Thomson companies and
I'd like to help. I'm just trying to visualize what you'd do to certify,
say, the Toronto Globe & Mail's 3.5 gig of extended format logs a week (the
largest of the 34 Thomson newspapers) were I to send them over.
-----
Lloyd Brodsky, Senior Researcher
Thomson Labs, Office of the Chief Technology Officer
The Thomson Corporation
1375 Piccard Drive
Rockville, MD 20850