Re: Terminology

From: Johan Hjelm (hjelm@w3.org)
Date: Fri, Dec 18 1998

Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:39:00 +0100
To: www-wca@w3.org
From: Johan Hjelm <hjelm@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Terminology

Good work, but I missed a few definitions:

Log file
(can a log file be a database - and handled in a DBMS?)
Server
Proxy
(we need to define the difference between servers and proxies - that
becomes quite important from a characterisation point of view)
Trace
Protocol trace
(these are mentioned several times in our work, but there is no clear
definition - might be useful)
Also, on the concepts of session, cookie, page view (etc), I think we might
need to look at how this is defined in the existing litterature. It would
be easier for others to accept our work if we used the same terminology as
the general world (and if that is wrong, we need to help them correct it).

More are sure to come

Johan
                     Johan HJELM
            Ericsson RCUR T/K & Cyberlab NY
         Currently visiting engineer at the W3C
             The World Wide Web Consortium
                     hjelm@w3.org
   http://www.w3.org/People/W3Cpeople.html#Hjelm
    Fax +1-617-258 5999, Phone +1-617-263-9630
   MIT/LCS, 545 Tech. Sq. Cambridge MA 02139 USA
        opinions are personal, always my own,
  and not necessarily those of Ericsson or the W3C.