Re: what should be logged

From: Joe Meadows (meadowsj@nobs.ca.boeing.com)
Date: Tue, Dec 15 1998

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 14:46:02 -0800
From: meadowsj@nobs.ca.boeing.com (Joe Meadows (425)957-5690 G-4780 Internet Technologies & WPx)
To: www-wca@w3.org
Subject: Re: what should be logged

>What things have to be logged in order to be able to trace browsing paths.
>Cookies come to mind but it would be nice not to have to use them for lots
>of reasons.

I wonder if we could get concurrance between browser and proxy vendors to
provide an extension header, that would only be presented when the browser
is knowingly speaking to a proxy, and that the proxy wouldn't pass along
(either to other proxies, or just not to end servers?). If the browser
generated a random number "per session", and provided it in such a header,
than clearly much better client tracking could occur. Alternatively, the cookie
mechanism could be extended to include support for "proxy cookies", so the proxy
could generate some tracking id...

That would provide a benefit with minimal damage to privacy concerns (if one
is going via a proxy, they already know their privacy is diluted at that point,
by not passing it to further proxies, or external servers, their privacy to
those points wouldn't be affected). If a web server wishes to track that sort
of info, they already can (attempt to) via cookies..

Cheers,
Joe Meadows
The Boeing Company