Re: what should be logged

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen (frystyk@w3.org)
Date: Tue, Dec 15 1998

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:06:27 -0500
To: Balachander Krishnamurthy <bala@research.att.com>, www-wca@w3.org
From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Subject: Re: what should be logged

At 05:07 12/14/98 -0500, Balachander Krishnamurthy wrote:

>at the last conf call i promised to send out my thoughts on what should be
>in logs. here is a first cut

Hi Bala,

Thanks a lot - good start - do you really think it is feasible to log all
these fields -- it is close to logging the complete HTTP messages. Privacy
and size implications may be significant.

Maybe by being more selective logging specific pieces for getting specific
characterization data, it will be easier (but admittedly make our task more
complex) to sell.

It of course pushes the question of a self-describing log format where we
can see what is being logged.

What resolution are you headed for with time stamps? What is the definition
of "received", "begin" and "end".

What things have to be logged in order to be able to trace browsing paths.
Cookies come to mind but it would be nice not to have to use them for lots
of reasons.

Thanks!

Henrik
--