Re: Robots

From: Jim Pitkow (
Date: Fri, Dec 11 1998

Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:08:21 PST
To: www-wca <>
From: Jim Pitkow <>
Subject: Re: Robots

At 09:23 AM 12/10/98 , Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> I am aware of one such list which is linked off
>         <>

I'm aware of that page, which while providing a nice list of robots, also
shares some similar conclusions:

Note that now robot technology is being used in increasing numbers of end-user
products, this list is becoming less useful and complete.

which leaves us with the same mess.

> be better to characterize browsing patterns than user agents. There are many
> ways browsing can be done:
>         GUI browsing
>         line mode browsing
>         high bandwidth vs. low bandwidth browsing
>         voice dictated browsing
>         link checking and content validation
>         mirror generating
>         indexing (breath or depth)
>         cache validation
> all of which I think are valid ways of using the Web but are likely to
> in different browsing patterns. I also think that it is likely that the same
> application can cover several modes and hence splitting it by user-agent may
> not capture the various modes of browsing.

The examples above are interesting in that they capture intentionality, which
if I think we could capture, would be great, but it's a really difficult
task...  I was more concerned initially with just the 'whose following the
links' aspect, so that different paths could be processed separately..