Re: Thougt paper: Automatic web characterisation

From: Chris Roadknight (roadknic@drake.bt.co.uk)
Date: Mon, Dec 07 1998

From: Chris Roadknight <roadknic@drake.bt.co.uk>
To: www-wca <www-wca@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 11:45:26 -0000
Subject: Re: Thougt paper: Automatic web characterisation

A quick comment re:section 4 of Volker's remarks

Do we really want to remove robots from any analysis?
I agree that the identification of robots is important but removing
all non-human requests from cache log based analysis seems
a very error prone task as It involves identifying robots, automatic
subscriptions, robot assisted browsing and linked/embedded objects.

I would be grateful for any opinions on favoured methods for filtering
human requests from automated requests.

Chris Roadknight
BT Research