Keynote Systems tools for researchers

From: Eric Siegel (esiegel@keynote.com)
Date: Thu, Nov 19 1998

From: "Eric Siegel" <esiegel@keynote.com>
To: <www-wca@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:23:10 -0800
Subject: Keynote Systems tools for researchers

W3C / WCA members:

Keynote Systems management has agreed to offer data and tools to WCA
researchers without charge, assuming that nothing breaks and the workload
isn't overwhelming!  We hope that this is useful, and we look forward to
doing more work with W3C.

Contact me by email or by phone if you want any of this data or access to
the tools. Also remember to contact us with any ideas about ways to measure
overall web performance and about ideas on placement of measurement agents.

-- Eric Siegel (esiegel@keynote.com)

=====> Example: Keynote Systems database queries for W3C:

Keynote stores approximately six million web page download measurements per
day, from more than 60 agents wordwide (approximately 2/3 in the US).  Most
of the measured web servers are in the US; some are outside. Downloads occur
every 15 minutes or every hour; approximately 50% of these six million
downloads also include detailed timings of the download phases, including
the DNS lookup phase, time to establish TCP connect, first packet received,
last byte of index page received, etc. Errors detected in downloads are also
recorded. Six weeks of data are maintained on-line in an SQL (Oracle)
database.

The presentations can be broken out by:
* Time Interval (e.g., between 9am and 8pm EST M-F; or for an entire week or
month)
* Geographic distribution of measurement agents (e.g., for the 43 US agents;
for the 18 outside-US agents; for particular agents or sets of agents as
listed in our web page http://www.keynote.com/kn/perspective_agents.html)
* Other breakouts are possible.

Repetitive data summaries are possible; e.g., we could email you a data
summary every week.

Sample uses of this data:

*** DNS Success and Performance:  Whenever a web page download aborts with a
DNS failure, that's recorded in the database. DNS lookup performance is also
recorded for approximately 50% of the downloads.

The obvious DNS statistics we can produce from this database are:
* Number of failed DNS queries and total number of queries, and
* Distribution of DNS query timings, giving mean and median, for the subset
that has such data.

*** TCP Connect Time:  We could produce the time needed for a TCP Connect
(three-way handshake) using the same raw data as are used for the DNS
statistics. Some caching researchers may be interested in this data.

=====> Example: Traceroute assistance to W3C:

We can let researchers use Traceroute, Ping, and nslookup facilities from
Keynote's remote agents worldwide if the total number of requests per agent
per minute is reasonable (e.g., one request or fewer per minute).  One of
the problems is that our agents permit only one traceroute, ping, or
nslookup to be active at a time; therefore, our customers could be blocked
if these facilities are used intensively.

The request for Traceroute, Ping, or nslookup is made from a web page, and
the data is returned in HTML.

Eric D. Siegel
Keynote Systems, Inc., Two West Fifth Ave., San Mateo CA 94402
esiegel@keynote.com  Phone: (650) 524-3028  Fax: (650) 524-3099
Home email: eds9@cornell.edu  Home Phone: (650) 570-2266