RE: UI for authoring SCXML documents

I like your visualization and step-by-step quite a lot (looking at it now).  I didn’t mean to highlight only Jacob’s work, it is just the work I’m more familiar with.

In all cases, however, once the machines become a little bigger the automatic visualizations become much harder to follow.  I tried loading a couple of real state machines that aren’t too terrible (623 lines of code and 989 lines of code) and in both cases the picture was only marginally illuminating and quite a bit harder to follow.  But they would be step-by-step-able and would also help newer people do their first few state machines and/or help with tutorials or sample state machines and the assertion state machines.

From: David Junger [mailto:tffy@free.fr]
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:41 PM
To: www-voice@w3.org
Subject: Re: UI for authoring SCXML documents

Le 30 juil. 2015 à 01:37, Michael Bodell <bodell@247-inc.com<mailto:bodell@247-inc.com>> a écrit :

If there was an equivalent for SCXML with a state machine content, data model, visualization, and ability to inject events and execute all in one browser pane I think that would be quite valuable.  And if there were SCXML interpreters that were well positioned to run in the standard web browsers (I.e., JS based SCXML interpreters like SCION) as well as the visualization tools ready to generate visualization in the browser (like SCHVIZ), then I think that would be handy.

Hello Rob.

I'd like to add that what Michael describes is also partly provided by my implementation, JSSC (http://jsscxml.org). It runs directly in browser JavaScript, and follows the SCXML semantics more closely than SCION.

I'm afraid I don't have much time to develop it at the moment, but JSSC comes with an interactive graphical viewer that runs the interpreter step-by-step, showing you the state chart's structure, active states, event queues, and even allowing you to edit transitions at runtime.

                                    David