SCXML: the src attribute of invoke, invokeid targeting

From: Johan Roxendal <johan@roxendal.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 18:08:27 +0800
To: www-voice@w3.org
hi,

thanks for the help with my previous issues. there is, however, more where those came from ;)

Q1:
there seems to be some conflicting information about with which syntax to target invoked processes with send elements. in http://www.w3.org/TR/scxml/#DataSharing  the format #_invokeid is suggested, but it's unclear whether the underscore should be included or not. in http://www.w3.org/TR/scxml/#SendTargets the preferred approach is #_invoke_invokeid.

in my implementation, <invoke id="i" /> can be reached through <send target="#i" />. simple enough, but it'd be good to know how it _should_ be.

Q2:
invoked scxml documents (linked to using the src attribute) could be fetched either asynchronously or synchronously. the standard offers no hints, so I assume you prefer the synchronous approach (which is fine for languages such as Python but not as fun in event-driven languages such as Actionscript). do you intend to leave the synchronicity of the src attribute open or will that be clarified in the standard?

Q3:
The scxml invoke type seems specifically for invoking external _documents_. are there any plans for invoking external SCXML processors (i.e documents that are being executed) as well, or is the preferred method of communication <send> with type scxml and target and http-enabled location? I ask, of course, because I've come across a need for invoking external processors and my implementation won't be compatible with any other processor than PySCXML as things now stand.

thanks for your time,
Johan Roxendal
http://code.google.com/p/pyscxml