[pls] minor updates on the implementation report plan (was Re: W3C publishes Pronunciation Lexicon Specification Candidate Recommendation)

From: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 04:57:24 +0900
To: www-voice@w3.org

Dear www-voice,

We are very sorry but on 18 December 2007 we the W3C Voice Browser
Working Group added a few minor modifications to the Implementation
Report Plan [1] of the Pronunciation Lexicon Specification (PLS)
Version 1.0 Candidate Recommendation as follows:

1. The title of the document [1] is modified to "Implementation
   Report Plan".

2. The content of the test file for Assertion 79 [2] is modified to
   check the assertion properly.

3. The pls-ir-20071212.zip [3] archive is also regenerated to include
   above modified files.

Please refer the updated version of the Implementation Report Plan,
the test and the ZIP archive.

There is no change in the Pronunciation Lexicon Specification (PLS)
Version 1.0 Candidate Recommendation [4] itself.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Voice/2007/pls-irp/#intro
[2] http://www.w3.org/Voice/2007/pls-irp/79/79-.pls
[3] http://www.w3.org/Voice/2007/pls-irp/pls-ir-20071212.zip
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-pronunciation-lexicon-20071212/

James Larson wrote:
> The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has published the Candidate
> Recommendation of "Pronunciation Lexicon specification (PLS) Version
> 1.0". W3C publishes a technical report as a Candidate Recommendation
> to indicate that the document is believed to be stable, and to
> encourage implementation by the developer community.  The PLS
> candidate Recommendation document is located at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/pronunciation-lexicon/
> The Pronunciation Lexicon Specification (PLS) is designed to enable
> interoperable specification of pronunciation information for both
> speech recognition and speech synthesis engines. The language is
> intended to be easy to use by developers while supporting the accurate
> specification of pronunciation information for international use.  The
> language allows one or more pronunciations for a word or phrase to be
> specified using a standard pronunciation alphabet or if necessary
> using vendor specific alphabets. Pronunciations are grouped together
> into a PLS document which may be referenced from other markup
> languages, such as the Speech Recognition Grammar Specification [SRGS]
> and the Speech Synthesis Markup Language [SSML].   Pronunciation
> lexicons are not only useful for voice browsers; they have also proven
> effective mechanisms to support accessibility for persons with
> disabilities as well as greater usability for all users. They are used
> to good effect in screen readers and user agents supporting multimodal
> interfaces.
> Jim Larson and Scott McGlashan
> Co-chairs, W3C Voice Browser Working Group

Kazuyuki Ashimura / W3C Multimodal & Voice Activity Lead
mailto: ashimura@w3.org
voice: +81.466.49.1170 / fax: +81.466.49.1171