[harbhanu] Re: Suggestion for grammar element in VoiceXML 2.1

[resent to correct list address]

Forwarded message 1

  • From: harbhanu <harbhanu@huawei.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 06:18:04 +0000
  • Subject: Re: Suggestion for grammar element in VoiceXML 2.1
  • To: www-voice-request@w3.org
Hi,

>>1. Your comments were submitted outside the Last Call period which ended
>>on 6 October 2006 as stated in [1].
Agreed... ;)

>> This allows, for example, grammars to be conditionally enabled or
disabled >> at run-time.
But am not sure whether any voicexml processor will activate the grammar
based on the URI...To me a better way to do that is with 'modal' attribute
and playing with scopes...And I am not able to visualize any use case for
grammar with URI present at dialog level or above.

I will elaborate my point with an example...

<vxml xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/vxml">
<var name="xyz" expr="'MyUri0'"/>
<form>
<grammar srcexpr="xyz"/>
<block>
<assign name="xyz" expr="'MyUri1'"/>
</block>
<field name="field1">
 Collect input
</field>
<block>
<assign name="xyz" expr="'MyUri2'"/>
</block>
<field name="field2">
 Collect input
</field>

In this case I don't think that there is any value add that we get by
putting this grammar at dialog level..since each time Uri is to be evaluated
and the VoiceXML processor has to get the grammar defined with the ASR. But
grammars at dialog level or above can be directly  reused by other input
items, once that grammar is defined.
(So, it is reasonable that grammar 'MyUri0' is reused by both filed1 and
fiel2 or it SHOULD better be inside input item. (field2 and field1))

Also, for field2 should both the grammars with Uri MyUri1 and MyUri2 must be
active or only one with MyUri2 must be active ??

So...by putting such kindof restriction (refer to below mail) any ambiguity
can be avoided.

Please let me know about your views on this. ;)

Regards,
Harbhanu

            This e-mail and attachments contain confidential information
from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address
is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way
(including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction,
or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is