Re: <?access-control?> allows privelege escalation attacks with many embedding mechanisms

Yes, your comments are certainly well understood by myself.  They are
also well written and a good basis for further discussion.  The
access-control mechanism does not in any way separate execution contexts
or in any other way handle cross-site scripting issues, but instead is
designed to enable "network file read" access to a wider range of XML
data sources while still preserving the general sandboxing restrictions
of a  "network file read."

Simply, the purpose of the access-control header is to allow XML
document authors to make their content available to other web
applications.

Let me try summarizing the security issues you raise... please
edit/amend/extend as necessary:

1) An XML document provider may want to expose their XML data to a
referring application, but likely does not also intend to expose their
cookie and header data.
2) Executing any content retrieved by this mechanism implicitly grants
that content security permissions of the referring document.

You are correct that we do not have either of these two issues in the
VoiceXML <data/> element use of this capability.

I was not involved in the recent discussion about taking this Note to
REC.  With the proliferation of AJAX, I do believe the use-case for
being able to allow referring applications to make use of published XML
data (weather data, mapping coordinates, flight tracking information)
exists and that this Note could be implemented effectively for that
use-case.  That use-case is admittedly more narrow than solving the
general cross-site scripting problems, but still may be important enough
to consider taking to REC.

Brad