Re: Voice Recognition Profiles

Dear ..,

I'd like to give you some more information on the background
of your proposals.

There are at least two broad classes of ASR:
- telephony ASR
- dictation ASR

The former does not require any kind of training, because it is
designed to be used by all possible speakers of a given language,
so the ASR is using a general acoustic model trained on a large
population of speakers.

Conversely the latter is for a personal use, so the training
is used for improving the performances on given speaker. Even in
this field from a very long training session (reading predefined
sentences) the current version of dictation ASR are using general
acoustic models as a baseline, so the training needed is reduced.

For telephony ASR there are approaches to adapt online the acoustic
models to improve the performance of the actual speaker. This is done
during the course of the speech interaction, without the need of
an explicit training phase.

A second aspect is that it is very premature to speak of a
Voice Recognition Profile today. All the technologies are different
so it is almost impossible to hava a standard profile, but your
idea is in principle good.

THis is my personal opinion,
Paolo Baggia, Loquendo.

Voice Recognition Profiles